Smeag3's Twitter Updates

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Book Signing

I got to meet John Green today! It was absolutely amazing! I really wish that I had said more (or anything at all really). He signed my copies of Paper Towns and An Abundance of Katherines. By the time it was my turn in line I was so nervous. My heart was beating really fast. I am already and pretty quiet and shy person to begin with, but this was worse.

See, I really would love to become a writer someday (although technically I am a writer, so I guess I would just love to have something published someday), and here was this writer that not only writes wonderful books that I love, but is something that I aspire to be. That of course in addition to the fact that I have been watching his youtube channel, Vlogbrothers for a couple of years now. It is so absolutely surreal to see someone almost everyday on your computer and then to just see them walking around, living their life and so forth.

I really enjoyed the actual event. John Green is a really good public speaker. He spoke a little about his life, said a little about the books, and was as always hilarious. The event was at a store called the Book Cellar, which I really recommend. It is an independent bookshop on Lincoln Avenue in Chicago. They have tons of books (and will also order anything you want) as well as wine, deli stuff and AMAZING cupcakes. There was a huge cake shaped like pumpkins for everyone after we got our books signed. I got a piece of chocolate cake, and I was absolutely delicious. Seriously I cannot describe how delicious it was.

I made a video of the whole thing (which includes John reading a little from his newest book, Paper Towns if you are at all interested) that I will eventually publish to my youtube channel with Amanda, Eric and Ruth. Sorry the camera work isn't very good. I kind of forgot that I was filming for a little while.


Currently Reading for Pleasure:
Devilish by Maureen Johnson

Currently Reading for School:
The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man by James Weldon Johnson
and
Daisy Miller by Henry James

Currently Watching:
Doctor Who Season Three

Currently Listening to:
Amy Winehouse

No comments: