Smeag3's Twitter Updates

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

It's a Wonderful Afterlife














I recently saw It's a Wonderful Afterlife and really loved it! So far, many of Gurinder Chadha's films post-Bend it Like Beckham have disappointed me. I am very happy to say that this film subverted all low expectations.

The film was very over-the-top, but definitely in a good way. The film focuses on the lives of a small group of people within the Indian community in London. One seemingly normal, traditional, Indian mother uses her obsession with her daughter finding a suitable match as her motivation for becoming a serial killer. She is able to kill any and all that get in her way fairly easily until she comes across one obstacle...she is stuck with the annoying band of ghosts until her own death. Trust me, this film is much better than it sounds!










As with any Chadha film, one may expect a wonderful cast of characters. I was also happy to see some familiar faces. Sendhil Ramamurthy of Heroes fame plays the charming and gorgeous D S Murthy. Mark Addy was the perfect counterpart as D I Smythe. Sally Hawkins plays the kookie friend, and Jimi Mistry plays her fiance.There was absolutely no one in the film that did not pull-off his or her role.

I would definitely recommend this film. It is definitely a must-see!

No comments: