Smeag3's Twitter Updates

Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Runaways




















I recently saw a film that came out earlier this year called The Runaways. I was actually really excited to see this film. It was pretty entertaining to watch, but overall not that great. The soundtrack was was amazing (as would be expected), and a few of the actors gave really good performances, but for the most part, the film was awkward and uneventful. If I had to make a clear judgment, I would say that the film is worth seeing, but probably not more than once. It is definitely not a must-see.













That said, there were several really good performances. I would feel remiss, if I did not at least mention a couple of them. Kirsten Stewart played a young Joan Jett. Stewart is sort of a hit or miss actress. When it works, it really does, and when it doesn't, it really doesn't. I am happy to say that this time, it really worked. She has never been very good at playing very versatile characters. Luckily, this role seemed to be made for her.  The only other really stand-out performance came from Michael Shannon. I have not seen very much of his work, but every time I see him in a role, I find myself surprised by how talented he is. In this case, he played Kim Fowley. This was a really over-the-top character. Shannon was really able to make the character work and be believable in a way that I do not think many could. He is definitely one to watch.

No comments: