Smeag3's Twitter Updates

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Dream Cast Thursday! Aladdin






This week's Dream Cast Thursday is Aladdin. Most people are familiar with the Disney adaptation. This was certainly my first exposure to the tale. I looked at the Disney adaptation when making my casting decisions. I also looked at the film, Arabian Nights. This miniseries was an adaptation of One Thousand and One Nights. Aladdin was a middle-eastern folk-tale that was added later to the book by Antoine Galland.The original tale takes place in a small Chinese city. When making my casting decisions, I wanted to stay true to the original while keeping with the fun of the Disney adaptation.







The first character that I recast was Aladdin. He has been played by Scott Weinger and Jason Scott Lee. For my adaptation, I cast Takeshi Kaneshiro.







The second character that I recast was the Jasmine/Princess Zobeide character. She has been played by Linda Larkin and Vanessa Mae. For my adaptation, I cast Ziyi Zhang.






The third character that I recast was the Genie. He has been played by Robin Williams and John Leguizamo. For my adaptation, I cast Rupert Friend.






The last character that I recast was the Jafar/Mustappa character. He has been played by Jonathan Freeman and Hugh Quarshie. For my adaptation, I cast Eamonn Walker.

So what do you all think? What adaptations have you seen? Have you read the original folk-tale? Who would be in your adaptation?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this would a great adaption. absolutely love it.