Smeag3's Twitter Updates

Saturday, March 6, 2010

The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day






















I just saw The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day. When I first saw the trailer for the Boondock Saints sequel, I was really excited. The film had been in the works for years (right after the first film came out), but was put on hold several times due to legal battles and scheduling conflicts. By the time the film came out in theatres, I wasn't very excited to see it. I was kind of depressed about all of the bad reviews that it was receiving (not to mention the bad plastic surgery that Sean Patrick Flanery apparently got prior to filming). I finally convinced myself to watch it and was actually pleasantly surprised.

Don't get me wrong. This film was definitely not as good as the first (then again, how many sequels are?). Some things really didn't work, but some things worked really well. There were also a lot a references to the first film that made me feel really nostalgic. I am happy that Troy Duffy (writer and director), Sean Patrick Flanery, Norman Reedus, and Billy Connolly were all a part of the sequel.  Without them, it would not have worked at all. I am also pleased with some of the new additions. Julie Benz was especially awesome, and Clifton Collins Jr. really grew on me by the end.

This film is not quite a must-see. I am not foreseeing any Oscars or critical acclaim in this film's future, and I definitely do not think that it will change your life, but I really would recommend it to fans of the first films. It is worth seeing at least once.

No comments: