Smeag3's Twitter Updates

Thursday, February 18, 2010

An Education













I just saw An Education. I have been pretty excited about seeing it ever since I first saw the trailer last year. The film was at the Chicago International Film Festival this past October, but all of the showings were sold out, so I was unable to see it. The film is based on a Memoir by Lynn Barber and is adapted by Nick Hornby. As time has gone by, my expectations have gotten higher and higher. This past month, An Education was nominated for three Academy Awards (Actress in Leading Role, Best Picture, and Best Adapted Screenplay).











I must admit that I was a little disappointed. Part of it may have been how different the film was from what I expected after seeing the trailer. I think that I really just let my expectations get a little too high. The film was great. Everyone was really wonderful. Emma Thompson and Carey Mulligan were both really good, but I think that I was most impressed with Olivia Williams and Alfred Molina. Their characters did not really have to be that believable, but they each really brought something to their roles. I ended up really liking Alfred Molina's character a lot more than I thought. There was something really sweet about him.













The story did not have much going on as far as the story or the screenplay, but I would probably still recommend it. I really enjoyed the costumes and a lot of the music. It's not quite a must-see, but is still worth checking out.

No comments: