Smeag3's Twitter Updates

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Dream Cast Thursday! Dracula






This week's Dream Cast Thursday is Dracula. There have been many adaptations (some are true to the novel, and others simply use the character). The hardest character to cast was definitely Dracula. For me, it will always be Gary Oldman. I looked at several adaptations when choosing my cast. The first adaptation that I looked at was Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992). The second adaptation that I looked at was Dracula 2000. The last adaptation that I looked at was Bram Stoker's Dracula (2006).














The first character that I recast was Dracula. Dracula has been played by Gary Oldman (1992), Gerard Butler (2000), and Marc Warren (2006). For my cast, I chose Jason Isaacs.














The second character that I recast was Mina Murray (named Mary Heller in Dracula 2000). She has been played by Winona Ryder, Justine Waddell, and Stephanie Leonidas. For my cast, I chose Keira Knightley.













The third character that I recast was Jonathan Harker (named Simon Sheppard in Dracula 2000). He has been played by Keanu Reeves, Johnny Lee Miller, and Rafe Spall. For my cast, I chose Henry Cavill.














The fourth character that I recast was Lucy Westenra (named Lucy Westerman in Dracula 2000). She has been played by Sadie Frost, Colleen Fitzpatrick, and Sophia Myles. For my cast, I chose Sienna Miller.














The last character that I recast was Professor Abraham Van Helsing. He has been played by Anthony Hopkins, Christopher Plummer, and David Suchet. For my cast, I chose Liam Neeson.

So what do you all think of this cast? Who would be in your adaptation?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your choices are so interesting! I could not think of any alternatives I liked better.

grace said...

Yeah. It took me a really long time to think of Jason Isaacs as Dracula. Everyone that originally came to mind just seemed too young or too pretty. Once I thought of him, I couldn't think of anything else.

Ruth said...

i love these choices

Guillaume said...

I am a big fan of the novel and I hated the Coppola version. I would most definitely cast Jason Isaacs as Dracula, if done close to the book. For the others, it is a bit trickier. Mina I always imagined Rosamund Pike or better Samantha Morton, if the movie had been made a decade or so ago. Now an unknown or semi-known British actress in her late 20s would be ideal. Same for Jonathan Harker. For Van Helsing, someone short and stocky, like in the novel. Bob Hoskins, maybe? Again he may be getting old.

Fan of Variety said...

Wow. I can see Jason Isaacs as Dracula. Also, if Dracula had a son, I think Tom Felton (who played Draco Malfoy in the Harry Potter films) or Daniel Radcliffe (who was the title character) would’ve been perfect for that role too. :)