Smeag3's Twitter Updates

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Dream Cast Thursday! Anastasia





For this week's Dream Cast Thursday, I will be recasting Anastasia. The first film that I looked at was Anatole Litvak's Anastasia (1956). The second film that I looked at was the animated film, Anastasia (1997). The animated film has always been one of my favorites. I saw the 1956 film for the first time this summer. I would like to do a film that blends the two together. It would be live action, have some of the magic and romance of the animated film, and have some of the darker aspects of the live-action film.







The first character that I cast is Anastasia. In the 1956 version, Anastasia/Anna Koreff was played by Ingrid Bergman. In the 1997 version Anastasia's voice was dubbed by Meg Ryan. For my remake, I cast a French actress named Melanie Laurent.







I felt that there were two different characters in the films that were very similar. In the 1956 version Yul Brynner plays General Sergei Pavlovich Bounine. In the 1997 version, the voice of Dimitri was dubbed by John Cusack. For my remake, I cast a German actor named Thomas Kretschmann.







The third character that I cast was the Dowager Empress Marie. In the 1956 version, she is played by Helen Hayes. In the 1997 version, her voice was dubbed by Angela Lansbury. For my remake, I cast an English actress named Julie Christie







The last character that I cast was Grigori Rasputin. He did not make an appearance in the 1956 version. I looked at the 1996 film, Rasputin. In this film, he was played by Alan Rickman. In the 1997 version, his voice was dubbed by Christopher Lloyd. For my remake I cast a Croatian actor named Rade Serbedzija.

So what do you all think? What films have you seen that have depicted the life of Anastasia? Who would be in your remake?

2 comments:

Ruth said...

i really like these choices. I have never seen a version becised the cartoon. i will have to check out the one with alan rickman.

grace said...

I haven't seen the one with Alan Rickman either. I think that the cartoon has ruined me for any other Anastasia adaptations. The one with Ingrid Bergman was just too dark for me.