Smeag3's Twitter Updates

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Wide Sargasso Sea


I just recently saw the 2006 adaptation of Wide Sargasso Sea. It is based on the re-imagined prequel to Jane Eyre by by Jean Rhys. I have always loved Jane Eyre and studies Wide Sargasso Sea this past semester in a female writers class and a contemporary theory class.

I haven't seen any of the previous adaptations, but really liked this one. It stars Rebecca Hall as Antoinette Cosway (Bertha Mason) and Rafe Spall as Edward Rochester. It was adapted for the screen by Stephen Greenhorn and directed by Brendan Maher.

I would definitely recommend this adaptation to anyone (especially to fans of Jane Eyre). It was absolutely stunning, and left me completely rethinking the original novel. Despite the fact that I already knew the ending, I was completely entranced by the tale. It is definitely a must-see.

No comments: