Smeag3's Twitter Updates

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Miss Austen Regrets


I recently watched Miss Austen Regrets. I believe that if first aired in the UK in 2008. I believe that it is currently only available in the United States as part of a set, but can be purchased on its own in the United Kingdom. It focuses on the life of Jane Austen (40s?-death). It was a really interesting film. Unlike Becoming Jane (another Austen biopic), it seemed very realistic. There were parts that were absolutely heart-breaking. This is definitely not the kind of film that I would be able to see over and over again.

This film takes one of the most famous female authors in the world, and turns her into a real person. The writer (Gwyneth Hughes) went further with this film than other films that I have seen. I applaud her for not mixing Austen up with her characters. Jeremy Lovering did a marvelous job directing the film. It was an absolute treat to watch. It had the same wonderfully beautiful look and feel as other period-dramas, but at the same time seemed a little gritty (if that makes sense).

The cast was wonderfully chosen. After seeing it, I could not imagine anyone but Olivia Williams playing Jane. There were so many dimensions to the character (many more than expected). Austen had a grace and wit, but at the same time a sadness and bitterness. Greta Scacchi and Phyllida Law gave the same wonderful performances that I have come to expect. I have seen Hugh Bonneville in many period films, but this is the first time when I have been really blown away by a performance. He did a marvelous job.

As I previously mentioned, this is not necessarily the type of film that I would buy and be able to watch over and over again, but I would definitely recommend seeing it. It is definitely a must see (especially if you are an Austen fan)!

No comments: