Smeag3's Twitter Updates

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Dream Cast Thursday! Wuthering Heights


Today's Dream Cast Thursday is Wuthering Heights. It was originally published by Emily Bronte in 1847 under the pseudonym of Ellis Bell. Since it's original publication, there have been many film adaptations. I have focused only on the earliest adaptation of Wuthering Heights and the three other adaptations that I have seen. One version of Wuthering Heights (1939) was directed by William Wyler. Another version of Wuthering Heights (1992) was directed by Peter Kosminsky. A third adaptation of Wutehring Heights (2003) was directed by Suri Krishnamma. The last adaptation of Wuthering Heights (2009) that I will be looking at was directed by Coky Giedroyc.

The characters of Cathy and Heathcliff are the two most important characters in the films. Cathy has been played by Merle Oberon (1939), Juliette Binoche (1992), Erika Christensen (2003 - in this updated version, she is known as Cate), and Charlotte Riley (2009). In my recast I would cast Ruth Wilson. She is a young and relatively unknown actress. I have loved her since I saw her in the most recent adaptation of Jane Eyre with Toby Stephens.

Heathcliff has been played by Laurence Olivier (1029), Ralph Fiennes (1992), Mike Vogel (2003 - in this updated version, he is known as Heath), and Tom Hardy (2009). In my remake, I would cast Dominic Cooper.

In the past, Edgar has been played by David Niven (1039), Simon Shepherd (1992), Christopher Masterson (2003 -In this updated version, he is known as Edward), and Andrew Lincoln (2009). In my remake, I recast Matthew Goode.

In the past, Isabella has been played by Geraldine Fitzgerald (1939), Sophie Ward (1992), Katherine Heigl (2003- in this updated version she is known as Isabel), and Rosalind Halstead (2009). In my remake, I cast Romola Garai.

In past adaptations, Hindley has been played by Hugh Williams (1939), Jeremy Northam (1992), Johnny Whitworth (2003- in this updated version, he is known as Hendrix), and Burn Gorman (2009). In my remake, I recast Sean Biggerstaff.

So what do you all think? Who would you recast in your adaptation? Have you seen any really good adaptations that have not been mentioned?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i really love these choices. i have to say you have a great eye for this type of thing. i think you would make a great casting director

grace said...

Thanks ruthie!