Smeag3's Twitter Updates

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Dream Cast Thursday! Romeo and Juliet


This week's Dream Cast Thursday is Romeo and Juliet. There have been many adaptations on film. My two favorite adaptations are Franco Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet (1968) and Baz Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet (1996). While recasting, I tried to not just choose English actors. I feel like this has happened a lot in the past (after all, Shakespeare was English). I feel like it is really important to remember that the story takes place in Verona.

In the 1968 adaptation, Romeo was played by Leonard Whiting. In the 1996 adaptation, Romeo was played by Leonardo DiCaprio. For my remake, I chose an actor of Spanish and German descent. I chose Daniel Bruhl.

In the 1968 adaptation, Juliet was played by Olivia Hussey. In the 1996 adaptation, Juliet was played by Claire Danes. In my remake, I chose an English actress. I chose Gemma Arterton.

In the 1968 adaptation, Tybalt was played by Michael York. In the 1996 adaptation, Tybalt was played by John Leguizamo. For my remake, I chose an Italian actor. I chose Filippo Nigro.

In the 1968 adaptation, Mercutio was played by John McEnery. In the 1996 adaptation, Mercutio was played by Harold Perrineau. For my remake, I chose an Italian actor. I chose Riccardo Scamarcio.

So what do you all think of my cast? Who would you cast in your own adaptation?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How could that actor ever play romeo. he has no sex appeal what so ever and after seeing him play a Nazi I really can't see the innocence that romeo needs

grace said...

Have you ever seen Deeply or Goodbye Lenin? I think that those films probably had the greatest impact on my choice.