Smeag3's Twitter Updates

Friday, September 11, 2009

Food Friday! pt. 7 Falafels


Falafels
This week's Food Friday recipe if for falafels (not really from scratch). They are a really good alternative to Gyros for vegetarians that like Greek food. They are also really easy to make. You can get falafel mix and just about any store. Many recipes will come with different ways to make them (including frying). I tend to like to broil them as a healthier alternative. Once you mix them up, roll them into balls. Brush them with just a little bit of vegetable oil. Once I put them on a baking sheet, I like to flatten them out just a little. This makes it easier to flip them in the middle of cooking and also makes it easier to eat them in pitas.

I usually broil them for 3-5 minutes on each side (it depends how you like them).

While they are broiling, I cut about half of a cucumber and half of an onion into chunks. I mix them together along with a little salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and chili powder. I let is sit for a few minutes, to give the flavors a chance to blend.

Sometimes I turn the cucumber and onion chunks into a sauce. I prepare them the same way as before, but them I add a little sour cream, lemon juice, and dill. It just depends on whether the campus market has sour cream when I go.

Next, I slice some pita bread and fill them with two falafels and the cucumber mixture.

No comments: