Smeag3's Twitter Updates

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Mean People

Wow, I am already doing much better with posting on this blog. I hope that I can keep it up. First of all, if there is anyone out there who has not heard of John Green, please check him out! He is an author of young adult novels and also is part of a very prominent youtube channel called vlogbrothers. He just had a book signing at a Borders in Indianapolis. Sadly I couldn't go.

Anyway, my mom works there. During the event she was in charge of the crowd control and had to make sure that the line kept moving. At one point a woman came up to her and asked if she could skip ahead to the front of the line. My mom said no, since it wouldn't be fair. The woman made a huge fuss about how she couldn't stay and had taken off work to come to the event. At this point, my mom offered to have a book signed for her and to then keep it at the front of the store where she could come back later (without my mom knowing, this woman recorded their entire conversation...can you say creepy?). The woman refused and left.

Later this woman called Borders and complained to a manager about my mom, calling her the "mean borders lady." The woman said that she was going to contact John Green and tell him how horrible her experience was and in retaliation, John Green would have all of his books removed from the shelves of the Borders Location and never do another event. Then She said that she had recorded my mom and was going to post a video on youtube about the "mean borders woman."

This story made me really angry. First of all, John Green seems like a nice, sensible guy. I very highly doubt that he would really have all of his books removed. Second of all, this crazy woman was mean to my mom. My mom called me worried that some video is going to be posted of her online that portrays her in a bad light. My mom works with people all day long and tries to be as nice as she can (although people do not always deserve it), and is a very private person. I tried to reassure my mom and told her that if I found any such video, I would make sure that it was removed immediately. I ask that if anyone is reading this blog and finds this video, to please try and have it removed from whatever site it is posted to.

It really surprises me that some people can be so mean for absolutely no reason. Yesterday, I went to see The Duchess with my friend, Kimille, and a woman in the theatre yelled at both of us, because Kimille accidentally kicked the seat directly in front on her and next to the woman. This was before the movie had even started, and no one was actually in the chair that was kicked. People just amaze me sometimes. Are there any nice people left out there?

No comments: