Smeag3's Twitter Updates

Monday, March 15, 2010

The Woodlanders






















I just saw the Woodlanders. It is based on a novel by Thomas Hardy that was originally published in 1887. It takes place in a small village called Little Hintock. It follows the lives of Grace Melbury and Giles Winterborne. They have been betrothed since childhood, but when Grace comes of age, her father decides that she is too good for Giles and decides to marry her off to a cold doctor.

The film was okay. I have always really liked the Thomas Hardy adaptations that I have seen in the past (Under the Greenwood Tree, Far From the Madding Crowd, The Return of the Native, Jude, and Tess of the d'Ubervilles). This particular adaptation fell a little short for me. All of the performances (except perhaps for Rufus Sewell) seemed to be lacking.

I probably wouldn't recommend this film. It isn't really a must-see.

No comments: