Smeag3's Twitter Updates

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Dream Cast Thursday! Great Expectations





This week's Dream Cast Thursday is Great Expectations. It was originally published as a serial in 1860 by Charles Dickens. I will be looking at two adaptations. The first adaptation of Great Expectations came out in 1998. The second Great Expectations adaptation came out in 1999.





The first character that I recast was Pip (Finnegan in the 1998 adaptation. He is the protagonist of the novel. He is born an orphan and eventually goes from being a blacksmith to a gentleman. He has been played by Ethan Hawke and Ioan Gruffudd. For my adaptation, I cast Max Brown.





The second character that I recast was Estella. She is Miss Havisham's adopted daughter and the object of Pip's affection. She has been played by Gwyneth Paltrow and Justine Waddell. For my adaptation, I cast Kelly Reilly.





The last character that I recast was Miss Havisham (Miss Dinsmoor in 1998 adaptation). She is a wealthy spinster that has taken on Pip as her companion. She has been played by Anne Bancroft and Charlotte Rampling. For my adaptation, I cast Helen Mirren.

So what do you all think? Have you read the novel? Have you seen the adaptations? What do you think? Who would you recast?

1 comment:

Ruthie said...

really good choices