Smeag3's Twitter Updates

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Joe's Palace and Capturing Mary

I recently saw two films written by and directed by Stephen Poliakoff. I have enjoyed other films that I have seen by him in the past (especially Perfect Strangers). I had pretty high expectations for these films and am very happy to report that I was not disappointed.

The first film that I saw is called Joe's Palace. It came out in 2007. It is a drama that centers on the relationships between Joe and Elliott and Joe, Richard and Charlotte. Elliott is the rich, eccentric owner of a grand mansion. Joe is the young man hired to care for the empty house. Richard is in government. He and Charlotte are both married to other people. They come to the house for privacy.

The cast was amazing. One thing that I have come to expect from Poliakoff films is the amazing casts. Elliott Graham is played by Michael Gambon. Joe Dix is played by Danny Lee Wynter. Richard Reece is played by Rupert Penry-Jones. Charlotte is played by Kelly Reilly. Michael Gambon and Kelly Reilly were especially phenomenal. I kind of expected a wonderful performance from Gambon, but was absolutely blown away by Reilly.

The companion piece to Joe's Palace is Capturing Mary. This film came out later in 2007. This film also involves Joe, but revolves around Mary Gilbert (a older woman trying to come to grips with her past and the part the Greville White plays). The setting for this film is once again in Mr. Graham's magnificent mansion.

Joe is once again played by Danny Lee Wynter. Mary Gilbert is played by Maggie Smith and Ruth Wilson. Greville White is played by David Walliams. This cast was also magnificent (as expected). The one surprise was David Walliams. I have always seen him in comedic roles. This was the first realy dramatic role that I had seen him in. He was amazing!

These films are definitely a must-see. I would suggest seeing Perfect Strangers first. Poliakoff does an absolutely magnificent job of bringing realistic dramas about family secrets and the past. They are always a real treat.

No comments: